"So I throw my hand into the air, and it swims in the beams"

Sunday, November 15, 2009



It was unseasonably warm out today - one of those rare, serendipitous days that happens to fall on a Sunday. I found the Counting Crows' This Desert Life in an old CD album in my car, and played it as I drove up the West Side Highway. Even though I've been a Counting Crows fan since I was fourteen, their songs resonated with me in a new way today. Their songs approach life in a way that is honest and accessible and refreshing and humbling. From "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby":

Well I woke up in mid-afternoon cause that's when it all hurts the most
I dream I never know anyone at the party and I'm always the host
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts
You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast

Well, I am an idiot walking a tightrope of fortune and fame
I am an acrobat swinging trapezes through circles of flame
If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame
And though I'll never forget your face, sometimes I can't remember my name...


When you have good music playing, and the windows are down, and people are out, driving through New York isn't a bad way to spend your Sunday.

[photo]

0 comments:

Post a Comment