Current read: Atonement

Friday, June 11, 2010


I picked up Atonement by Ian McEwan during my bout at the library last week and now I'm having trouble putting it down (except when I have to...to go to work...overrated). The writing is mind-bogglingly beautiful and so easy to get wrapped up in. I find it's rare to find a book that's both profound but not too dense (you know what I mean?). I'm sure you've all seen the movie so you know how heartbreaking and inventive the story is. What I like about the book which you don't get in the movie is that the narrator is a close third person and the chapters rotate between different characters' perspectives. The story makes so much more sense this way, and you especially can understand Briony a whole lot better; in the movie she's pretty much a wretched little girl, but in the book, she's...complicated.

"It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you."

I also think it's time to me to admit it: I like Keira Knightley. I feel like if you're a girl, you're supposed to hate her or something, but I think she's a fabulous actress. And no one else could have turned the green dress into the phenomenon that it became.


Really, though, can someone buy me this dress?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Yes, ever since I saw the movie (which is somewhere on the top of my favorites list) I've wanted to read the book. But I somehow never got around to do it. When I am finally out of school this summer, I hope to do it.
And I like Keira too. I do kind of hate her for her good looks, but she is not the typical good-looking girl. There is something so dorky about her as well. I hope you know what I mean. Anyway my hate for her is in a good way. I suppose I admire her in a way.

Mandy said...

Yes, I do know what you mean about the dorkiness. I'm glad you agree!

Post a Comment