The Simple Life

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Today, this article got me thinking about what really makes us happy. It centers on the idea that "people are happier when they spend money on experiences instead of material objects." The article then goes into ways in which this could "recession-proof" our lives for the future, though I'm stuck on that happiness thing. I think we buy and are constantly plugged in to all our little devices because they serve as convenient little distractions. Our stuff serve as buffers from connecting with nature, with the people in our lives, or, most probably, the tough decisions and inner dilemmas that we'd rather not face. No wonder most of us don't consider letting go of them.

You know you're a little bit confused about your philosophy on consumerism when you post about shoes one day and an article on downsizing materially the next. Still, I don't think I'm so unusual. In this climate, between the influx of gadgets that seem to be more and more necessary, and the economic times, it makes sense to be conflicted.

But when we allow ourselves, there is something entirely wonderful about shutting off our computers or turning off our phones and not doing a whole lot for an afternoon. When I take the time to unplug I wonder why I don't do it more often. I guess that's my cue. Adios, then, until tomorrow's replug.

images via we heart it

0 comments:

Post a Comment