À pied

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Over the past two days, I've walked about the entire city of Bergerac, getting lost and eventually finding the three schools where I'll be teaching. Exploring a new city by foot, I think, is the best way to get to know it. My first school took me forty minutes to get to. The main street in this seemingly suburban area, on which École André Malraux is located, is flanked by trees on both sides. This to me is very French, because I have a distinct memory of driving down narrow country roads in Provence when my parents visited me three years ago, all of which were shaded by tall green trees whose branches seemed to reach out towards each other. The second school was located on a busy road on the outskirts of town, and though the director wasn't expecting me, we spent ten minutes discussing why we both love New York. In the old city, I found École Jean Moulin, an urban school where the teachers were friendly and fun and I received my schedule on the spot. I start there with a full day, teaching ages six through nine, on Thursday. After going to meet my friends, wandering aimlessly around the old city, and then home, I calculated that yesterday I had spent roughly three hours walking.

Today, Ellie and I discovered bookstores, furniture stores, antique stores, soap stores, and thrift stores in the old city. It is so lovely to live with someone abroad who has the same sort of travel style that I do, the same loves of exploring, thrifting, and sitting at cafés, people-watching for hours. And of course, eating. Ben is obsessed with going out for meals but this extravagance is beginning to burn a hole in my already shallow pocket.

photo via we heart it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment