Bordeaux à Noël

Saturday, December 4, 2010


The weather took a drastic turn for the frigid this week, apropos to the start of the Christmas season. On Thursday, it was snowing in Bergerac as the city Christmas lights turned on. We spent a whirlwind 24 hours from Friday to Saturday in even colder Bordeaux for the Christmas markets, holiday shopping, and a dressy night out.

(When Ellie and I first arrived, we stopped into a random café while we waited for the 4pm check-in into our hotel. A guy playing guitar and a girl on accordian were practicing for a performance that night, so we got our own private concert.)

(My beautiful Bergerac best friend)

I felt so happy walking through the markets at night. They were one of my favorite memories from living in Aix. I lived only a ten-minute walk from the Cours Mirabeau, the main street in Aix, and I would walk the length of it every day on my way home from school in December, seeing the same stands, the same soaps and lavender satchels and barrels of vin chaud. But I never got sick of it. Christmas in France is tirelessly magical.


Saturday was warmer, and sunny, and we wandered from our hotel towards the center of town, passing old squares and cathedrals. We stumbled upon a huge flea market and wished we had a van to caravan cool antique furniture back to Bergerac.

0 comments:

Post a Comment