Currents

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I. Current favorite poem.
We read this poem in my senior creative writing seminar last semester, and for some reason, it popped into my head today and I went back and found it. It's long, so here is a link: "What I Do" by Ellery Akers. It's such an eclectic account of one person's life, in all the roles she fills, her fears, her experience of nature. And it's also a very reader-friendly poem because each stanza has a different personality and I think each reader would be drawn to a different one. My favorite lines are the super-personal ones, the ones you can tell she dug and dug to get out, lines like these:

"Sometimes I bolt awake at night, feeling a man is pressing on top of me, certain it's happening"

and

"I see my therapist, my words fill up the room, the past is enormous, I steer towards anger and practice anger as if it were Italian"

II.
Current read.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, about two closet intellectuals living in a fancy apartment building in Paris - the concierge of 47 years and the twelve-year old daughter of one of the families. The two protagonists narrate the story in short chapters - I'm about two-thirds into it and their paths haven't yet crossed. It's dense at times, but an interesting story with a very French feel to it (philosophical, cynical, with an emphasis on human mortality - those things feel French to me, anyway). As we all know, I'm a sucker for Zee French.



Favorite passage thus far:
"We have to live with the certainty that we'll get old and that it won't look nice or be good or feel happy. And tell ourselves that it's now that matters: to build something, now, at any price, using all our strength. Always remember that there's a retirement home waiting somewhere and so we have to surpass ourselves every day, make every day undying. Climb our own personal Everest and do it in such a way that every step is a little bit of eternity."

0 comments:

Post a Comment